POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Scattering : Re: Subsurface Scattering Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Scattering
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jul 2003 15:13:31
Message: <MPG.198496eefefa88b98983e@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
cja### [at] earthlinknet says...
> In article <MPG.19835f5a3e611a0798983b@news.povray.org>,
>  Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > I suspect that part of the problem was
> > the sphere being way to small, but I also suspect that it is simply
> > impossible to make media 'thick' enough to obscure objects at relatively
> > short distances without resorting to something like what you seem to be
> > talking about doing for the milk. However, I could have simply screwed up
> > the settings. ;) I am pretty much flying blind here and experimenting
> > with something I never used before. lol
>
> To make it thicker, you just need to increase the density. To get the
> same results at half the scale, you need to double the density. It
> sounds like you think there is some limit to how dense you can make
> media, or that high densities are somehow a "last resort".

Umm. I am confused here.. Looking at the docs implies that density is a
color vector. I am a bit unclear how you make that more dense, nor does
increasing the size of this vector seem to produce a noticeable effect.
It is possible something about what I am doing is simply not allowing
media to be seen, but... Like I said, I haven't a clue what I am doing, I
just tried something and it doesn't seem to be doing what I expected (if
anything). :p

camera {

 location <0.0000001,0,-200>
 look_at <0,0,0>
}

light_source {
     <0, 0, -130>
     color rgb <1, 1, 1>  // light's color
}

light_source {
     <130, 0, -130>
     color rgb <.5, .5, .5>  // light's color
}

light_source {
     <-130, 0, -130>
     color rgb <.5, .5, .5>  // light's color
}

difference {
  sphere {<0,0,0>, 100
    pigment {color rgb <1,0,0>}
    hollow
    interior {
      media {
        //absorption rgb <1,0,0>
        //emission rgb <1,0,0>
        intervals 1
        variance 0
        scattering {1, rgb <1,0,0> extinction 0}
        density {
          checker
          density {rgb <1,0,0>}
          density {rgb <1,1,0>}